Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Clock Ticked... and August Rushed!

A couple of years ago my sister got me a very nice sport watch. (She is very very generous, I dare not say there is something I like and hop I see her working hard saving money and getting it for me... I guess she contributes to my spoiling, so if you complain that I am too spoiled, there you go! someone to blame! (how nice of me, I know!))
I do not usually wear one and I am pretty dumb, I need it to have numbers on it because otherwise I might just waste your time trying to get the right time... Now the watch was so very nice and had all the number on , pretty practical and waterproof and... (I might just change job to a saleswoman! don't you agree?!) but you get the idea, it's one special watch!! So I wore it and! that was one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life (and don't just assume that biggest means worst!)... This watch has, like the usual I assume (probably wrongly because I saw pretty funny ones trying to find a picture for that post, one with fork and spoons, one with fingers and so on... way to go people for being creative!), the long one for minutes, the short one for hours and a happy little slim one for seconds... and every second could be heard from a meter away! I think one might imagine hell just one endlessly ticking watch that follows your wherever you go! 
Being such a sensible human being, I stopped wearing it, but last night I so remembered it and I decided to give it another chance because I thought I needed a watch (that is waterproof and has all the number... you know) for the following few day... And just today something in my perspective totally changed... It's a good idea to give things a loudly ticking second chance!!
Why I need a watch... To watch the time for cooking and to be on time on a schedule running, I suppose, like a clock! August... I thought this  August will be the calmest month of this year. Of course! Why! It is the sunniest month of the year! But against every odd, against every wilful will of mine, August came rushing in, and I got a little bit overwhelmed. (I guess that did not surprise you... I know I get overwhelmed pretty easily but but... anyway). I thought I will be just busy about four days of that month and for the rest I am going to be the cicada of Jean de la Fontaine*... But God spared me that fate. Friday I get a phone call from a friend asking if I can replace her being a cook in a mission trip of almost ten days. Panic! I want to do it from all my heart but my heart is so weak and I get pretty scared I will mess things up and be a horrible servant and so on... plus a few things happened that weekend that made me have unpleasant dreams and just freak out! (I know it sounds dramatic but believe me I almost fell in tears!) but I decided to do it anyway...
This morning I wore the watch (I am going to be gone this afternoon, I know you're gonna miss me when I'm gone ♪♫♪)... It ticked and ticked and ticked and first I thought, dear me what a stupid human being I am but one tick and one thought hit my mind... It is constant, God is constant! It does not change, God does not change, it does not fail to tick, God does not fail... And one second and my whole idea changed, from panic to rest, for if I change, God does not, if I fail, God does not and if I feel rushed, God is not. And every ticking second from that moment became a sweet melody to my ear, playing invisible Music, whispering words of comfort from Him... I pray He will be glorified through it all!!
 


The Cicada and the Ant

Cicada, having sung her song
All summer long,
Found herself without a crumb
When winter winds did come.
Not a scrap was there to find
Of fly or earthworm, any kind.
Hungry, she ran off to cry
To neighbour Ant, and specify:
Asking for a loan of grist,
A seed or two so she’d subsist
Just until the coming spring.
She said, "I’ll pay you everything
Before fall, my word as animal,
Interest and principal."
Well, no hasty lender is the Ant;
It’s her finest virtue by a lot.
"And what did you do when it was hot?"
She then asked this mendicant.
"To all comers, night and day,
I sang. I hope you don’t mind."
"You sang?" Why, my joy is unconfined.
Now dance the winter away."


ps. I hope you appreciate the pun the the title!

1 comment: